Wednesday, September 29, 2004

RodgerVich's 4.4x28

Posted by: rodgervich ®
05/05/2004, 19:10:40

Here's my version, it's the one on the left.
Mine is on a Contender but others have put them in .30 Carbine magazines and I have found that they fit in .22Hornet magazines. The rimless case head doesn't match anything commercially available that I know of so a custom bushed bolt would be required.
I have had 15gr Bergers to 3,500ft/s and 20VMAX to almost 3,200 ft/s but better accuracy for 20's is around 3,000.
The rim is very thin and deforms easily during forming and reloading, not an easy case to play with. None of the standard shellholders fit very well, .25ACP is closest but needs to be opened up a little. Supposedly RCBS makes them but they sent me a "5mm centerfire" shellholder that is marginal. I had to make an insert for the primer hole in the shellholder to support the case head during forming or the rim just rips right off.

image
There is no try; only do, or do not.

No comments:

Blog Archive