Wednesday, September 07, 2005

FN FiveseveN Forums - Problem with ejecting case or cycling...

Rnelson11's notes...

FN FiveseveN Forums - Problem with ejecting case or cycling...: "I've been off work a couple of days so I've spent a lot of time trying to address this problem. I started a new tread because I have a bit of new information.

First, I've had a few cases that extended out of the barrel further than the factory rounds but if I lube them well they are almost exactly the same as factory (.128'-.130'). I had one that was .164' and the breech would not fully close so the firing pin only slightly marked it. When this happens the slide sticks back about 1/16' and the round does not fire. But let me also say that an extended shoulder is not the only thing that will cause this (read on).

I had 20 rounds loaded today (10-35gr V-Max w/6.6gr of HS-6 and 10-40gr V-Maxw/6.7gr of HS-6) so I rode down to the woods to test them. I shot 5 of the 35 gr bullets and only 2 ejected so I saved the rest to check when I got back to the house. I shot 9 of the 40 gr bullets (the primer fell out of one) and only about half ejected. These cases have been fired about 8 times using a lot of different powder weights.

When I got to the house I started checking the rounds and noticed that the rims were beaten up pretty bad. I checked them with my micrometer and they were as much as .313' diameter, the factory rounds were .304'. I assume they flattened and pancaked from slamming against the breech when fired. I also noticed several with deep cuts which I assume came from being ejected. I spun the remaining 5 on a file and got then back to about .304'-.305' and de-burred the top and bottom of the rim. I went back to the woods and all 5 rounds fired and ejected.

I think that the damaged and 'pancaked' rims are preventing the ejection lever (hook) from catching the rim when trying to jerk the casing out at high speed. I say t"

No comments:

Blog Archive