Monday, September 12, 2005

FN FiveseveN Forums - H110 horror story

[Editor's note:
I've preserved this post for posterity. The load data contained here is KNOWN to be dangerous and will PROBABLY BREAK YOUR GUN or DAMAGE YOU. DO NOT USE THE LOAD DATA CONTAINED in THIS POST.]

Originally posted by snw19.

FN FiveseveN Forums - H110 horror story: "I first started to reload for this caliber for the following reasons:

1) Only available round (I can get) for this caliber was the SS192 that has no expansion for hunting and is worthless as a defensive round. A friend of mine shot a Havelina with one and the exit wound (after he killed it with his .41 mag) from the SS192 was barely larger than the entry, didn�t even make it jump.
2) Ammo was becoming less and less available, prices were doubling every week. Not very cost effective if I wanted to become proficient with it.
3) The release of the SS196 kept on getting pushed further back. Besides, what can I do with a 40gr bullet at 1600 fps that my .357 and its 125gr bullet traveling 1450 fps or a 115gr 9mm going 1350 fps isn�t going to do better?

Since there was no data available anywhere that I could find, I grabbed my book and started looking at cartridges that were �close� to this one. Published info that I had found was that ��powder charge of 6.5 grs, using a very small-grained ball powder propels the 31gr bullet at a measured 2329 fps from the P-90�s 9.8� barrel.� Okay. Some of the best velocity vs pressure for the 22 Hornet and 218 Bee use Hodgdon H110. Hey, I have some of that I used to use in my .357 and .44. Wow, that�s the smallest grain ball powder I have ever seen. I�ll try it�

Since 10gr of H110 push a 40 grain bullet 2570 fps out of a 22 Hornet and the SS196s are supposed to go 1600fps, I loaded two rounds each of 5.75, 6.0, 6.25, and 6.5 grains. Grabbed the chrono and a friend to catch the brass for me (only had 99 then) and went out. First round at 5.75 fired showed 840 fps, case flopped out like a fish. There was also some pretty heavy recoil, primer fine. Second round fired showed error, case barely made "

[Editor's note: (just in case you missed the same verbiage at the top)
I've preserved this post for posterity. The load data contained here is KNOWN to be dangerous and will PROBABLY BREAK YOUR GUN or DAMAGE YOU. DO NOT USE THE LOAD DATA CONTAINED in THIS POST.]

No comments:

Blog Archive