Sunday, July 11, 2004

5.7mm x 28mm Ammunition (Reloading)

Update circa 06/15/2005

The following note was posted on the FiveseveNForum, apparently from an RCBS employee.

The desired parts for the 5.7X28 are now available to order:

99245 #45 shell holder

90345 #45 Trim Pro Shell Holder

88845 #45 5 Station Shell Plate

11703 Small Base Die Set 5.7x28 (FN)

11701 FL Die Set 5.7x28 (FN)

Not everything has been produced yet but should be manufactured in the next few weeks. At least you can get the item ordered.


The information above should supercede what's been provided previously (below) regarding the special order dies.
----------------------------------
Ammoguide provides some case dimensions, but their information seems somewhat out of date and possibly innacurate.

Mike Haas and I exchanged some email regarding the statement above, so please see below for additional facts and insight:

Stephen,

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I'm always eager to work with experts in trying to insure that AmmoGuide is accurate. Every page has a "Support" link that can be used to contact me, whether the visitor is a member or not. In the future, please contact me if you have any concerns about anything you see on the site. I value input from people as knowledgable as yourself and AmmoGuide is much the better for it. But if I don't hear from you, I can't address any issues.

I believe you are correct that my original 5.7x28mm dimensions were hand-measured (submitted by a visitor over my Cartridge Creator http://ammoguide.com/runcreator.html ) but also believe the textual description immediately below the diagram noted same in the first sentence. Sometimes SAAMI case diagrams just can't be found, but I try to make it very clear if dimensions are hand-derived. I have published reference books that have hand-measured dimensions noted on some of their diagrams, so the practice is nothing new. Since originally putting up the 5.7x28mm page, my research has turned up what I believe are more reliable dimensions and I revised the diagram and text accordingly. I would very much appreciate your review...

5.7x28mm FN - http://ammoguide.com/?catid=253

You have a nice website also, and I'm sure receive many visitors. Would you like to
suggest modification or even replacement of the textual desciption on the above
AmmoGuide page? I would even invite you to write an article about the 5.7
for the AmmoGuide "Articles" section. I am certain many would read
it.

Thanks for the reply and looking forward to your suggestions,

Mike Haas

http://ammoguide.com/ developer
----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen P. Gibbons
To: Mike Haas
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: Pardon me?


Hi, Mike,

Thanks for the note, I've been meaning to contact you also.

I really do appreciate what you've done with Ammoguide, and no flame was intended. If anything, I suspect that the source that you used for the 5.7x28mm info was potentially flawed (from a reloader's point of view.) It looks like you might have used the data from Cartriges of the World 10th edition, which has specs on the
first generation SS90 ammo (not the current generation SS190, L191, SS192, SB193, T194, etc.) You didn't list the source of your information in the Ammoguide entry, so my suspicicions may be wrong.

For example, when I used a micrometer on current factory cartriges that I've fed representatives through my own pistol, the bullets mic out to .224" I've had a devil of a time finding official specs on what FN/Olin/Winchester are currently
producing.
Again, I didn't intend to flame Ammoguide, I just haven't been able to resolve some of the discrepancies that I've observed, and I was trying to be cautious about providing reloading information on the Internet when I had questions myself. I'll add a note of explanation to the blog entry, and clean up my language. :-) Anything you can do on your end would be greatly appreciated too.

Best regards, and keep up the good work,

--
Steve

Mike Haas wrote:
At http://stevesfn57.blogspot.com/2004/07/57mm-x-28mm-ammunition-reloading.html you
note...

"Ammoguide provides some case dimensions, but their information
seemssomewhat out of date and possibly innacurate."

I appreciate the link, but can you explain the flame?

Mike Haas
http://ammoguide.com/ developer



Yahoo's handloading group is useful.

The SubGuns reloading forum is fairly active.

RCBS produces special order dies, including dies and shell holders for the 5.7x28.




  • Dies - Part # 56820 $119.95
  • Shell holder - Part # 57170 $16.95
  • Order special dies and shell holders by part number and description ("5.7x28")
  • Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery, and expect to pay shipping. ($163.95 total for dies and 2 shell holders shipped to AZ)
  • RCBS Customer Service
    605 Oro Dam Blvd.
    Oroville, CA 95965
    For more information, call 1-800-533-5000 between 6:30 AM and 4:00 PM, Pacific time, Monday through Friday. They take Visa and Mastercard.

Huntington also provides special reloading dies, including dies and shell holders for the 5.7x28. They use the same part numberss as RCBS, but may have more stock on hand.

CH4D can also create reloading dies and shell holders.

Load data is non-existant (July 21, 2004)
Dead ends include: Hogdon, CCI-Speer,

Alternate producers are also non-existant (July 21, 2004)
Dead ends include: RBCD Performance Plus Ammunition, COR-Bon/Glaser,

Wildcats do exist, including some work on the 4.4x28. (found on The Firing Line.)

Ernie Wrenn ernie@mail.socommfg.com at Socom has "plenty" (~50,000) once-fired brass available for "$55 per thousand + fgt."

I had some email correspondence with a hand-loader who said:

S: (I have been reloading for over 30 years). The best place to start
is to find something with the same case volume & bore size.
Powder: My take on the powder used is a moderate speed ball type.
(Theyneed magnum primers)
I was going to try 2400. Ive used it from shotgun-rifle-pistol to good
result.
Primer, standard small rifle.
Bullet: My biggest problem. 40 grain
hornaday have too long nose taper.
Still looking. I am looking 4 berger 30 grain.
.224 dia. Crumples cases when seating. Need a .223 dia. Projo.
My first load tried will be a 30gr Berger bullet, small rifle primer,
10grs of 2400 powder.
Remove magazine before shooting when testing so it would hopefully
Redirect any "EXTRA" gasses.
Keep in touch, Dean

No comments:

Blog Archive