Wednesday, June 22, 2005

FN FiveseveN Forums - tumbling & the dry film lubricant on the outside of the case

FN FiveseveN Forums - tumbling & the dry film lubricant on the outside of the case: "Originally Posted by sulafool
I was wondering when someone would mention this. I washed some brass in a 5% citric acid solution and it caused 30 to 50% of the coating to peel off. Looks like hammered doggy-do now. Trying to get the rest off has been a nightmare. I've tried acetone, toluene, every kind of paint/lacquer thinner and 2 kinds of stripper as well as returning it to the acid bath and tumbling. Can't seem to get all of it off. I suppose that which remains will never be a problem, but the thought of that crap flaking off inside the chamber and turning into some melted goo bothers me. Don't know if the coating has a function or not; I never heard of such a thing before except that lacquer the commies put on their steel cased ammo for corrosion protection. Anyone else besides me anal enough to try to get all the coating off?




5.7x28mm cases have a laquer coating on them to cause lubricity so the straight walled case can be extracted from the chamber. I would not tumble them too much and I would not clean them with a chemical. Maybe a little case lube during re-sizing."

No comments:

Blog Archive