Friday, February 25, 2011

30 Carbine project

30 Carbine project: "Got the first few steps going on the 30 Carbine Handi. Tonight I started working on the 410 barrel for the stub for the 30 cal barrel. First I chucked it in the lathe and put a center in the breach, then turned a parallel spot in the barrel about 18.5 inches out from the breach. I also turned round the outside chamber area just in front of the hinge pin for my steady rest to run on while I bore and thread the chamber to accept the new barrel. I then parted the barrel off a 18.5 inches to make it a little easier to work with. I will leave it at 18.5 inches until I have the chamber machined away and the threads cut for the new barrel, then cut the chamber off from the rest of the 410 barrel. Guess we need to stay legal. A couple of thoughts so far. It would probably be easier to start with a 20 ga than a 410, a little less metal to remove. The forarm lug sure comes off easy, two little wacks and it was on the floor. If anyone needs the little brass bead front sight off a shotgun PM me, first one gets it free. Larry"

No comments:

Blog Archive